This program is open to all undergraduate students who have an interest in learning more about STEM technologies, which can be applied to all majors and areas of study. No prior experience is required. Our program provides a unique opportunity where students will:
- be assigned research opportunities and hands-on experience earlier in their academic career
- gain real world experience that will strengthen their resume with employable skills
- create networking opportunities with other students, mentors, professors, and industry professionals
Some of the projects that our undergraduate students have worked on include, but are not limited to:
- Virtual Reality – using OpenSim, students may develop virtual reality projects for markets, propose layouts for physical spaces, training facilities or interactive exhibits
- Data Analytics – research and design a space where members can collaborate on data analytics, data visualization, etc.
- 3D Modeling/Printing – learn and gain experience creating 3D models using free software packages such as Blender
- Mobile Apps – using an Android operating system, learn the technology and create your own mobile app
- Wearable Technology – develop wearable technologies such as the Internet of Things demonstrators
- Cyber Security – a project-based approach to future cyber-security certification will be explored
- Autonomous Vehicles – explore how sensors, communications architectures, and geo-tagged data bases can assist autonomy
From the available options, we selected the OpenSimulator (“OpenSim”) platform, primarily because it is a free and open-source option. All that is needed to connect to our virtual 3D campus is a computer, internet access, and an approved avatar account. We selected Deep HoriXons (DHX) because it is:
- a safe and secure environment for the students - private and monitored
- convenient and flexible - virtual world is accessible all the time
- students can participate and network from home, library, computer labs if necessary
- cost efficient - allows students from multiple locations to participate individually or in group settings together, eliminating the costs associated with travel
- one location where the students can save and post progress of their work
To help visualize the value of our 3D virtual campus and the projects that have been done in OpenSim, please take a minute to watch the short, 3-minute YouTube videos put together by previous students who participated in the internship as part of a previous program under the executive director. Please note that the title slide information will reflect the previous program, and as such does not contain valid contact information any longer.
“A meaningful experience.”
"It was with Discovery Lab Global where I recognized and built my competitive professional skill set. I was given the freedom to go out and solve exciting real problems involving Data Analytics. I worked in teams and was able to act as a leader among my peers, as well as collaborate in small sub teams so that we could make progress on the project at hand. Some of my teammates would later become my best friends. Through the internship I also had to communicate clearly and quickly with those around me. Discovery Lab Global provided me with a meaningful experience and pushed me to develop a competitive skill set."
— Ethan A.