UPDATED MARCH 20TH, 2019.
IMPORTANT that you read ALL of this web page carefully before applying as it answers most of your questions.
This web page can be viewed on a mobile device but it is designed to be best viewed on a computer or laptop screen. Application is now open for the Summer at Discovery's Edge (SADE 2019) Program. Visit the High School or the Undergraduate links (above) for appropriate background information before applying here.
· Application Deadline (Spiral 2): 11 PM Eastern Time Zone, Sunday April 21st. Restructured portfolio of projects.
Spiral 2: A full complement of RESTRUCTURED projects is offered under Spiral 2 which has a deadline of April 21st. The projects are restructured from the earlier Spiral 1 deadline of Feb 24th that expired in order to accommodate the students that will have less time to prepare but the experience will still be technically enriching.
STEP 1 is to REGISTER while STEP 2 is to APPLY … before the April 21st deadline for Spiral 2 projects portfolio.
· STEP 1 (REGISTER): click the CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TODAY link to complete the online REGISTRATION form. This step is simply to REGISTER information indicating that you plan to apply. Step 2 is to APPLY.
· STEP 2 (APPLY): click the VIDEO APPLICATIONS INSTRUCTIONS link to complete the APPLICATION process which involves answering the interview questions in the body of an email and then attaching a short interview video.
Read ALL of the instructions carefully first — they will help answer most of your questions.
Some students completed the video but failed to complete the email portion. An incomplete application can not be accepted.
The 2 links (to REGISTER & then APPLY) are on the top right when viewed on a computer / laptop and are at the bottom of this webpage when viewed on a smartphone.
IMPORTANT: You will NOT be considered unless you submit the APPLICATION …. REGISTERING is NOT enough.
QUESTION? - if you have questions after you first carefully review the information on this website then please email your questions to DLabG.Resume@GMAIL.COM … but make sure to put SADE2019 Question in the subject line of the email (the email header) … and not inside the email … so that we can respond quickly
——— HERE’S MORE INFORMATION IF YOU WISH TO LEARN MORE ———
The Projects: Students will have a say in their project assignment through a project assignment / team-formation process in our 3D virtual campus that we call the “NFL Draft”. Here are some examples — especially for AI.
No prior experience or education is required for Virtual Reality or for Cybersecurity projects.
AI is the most challenging project in our program and offered only under Spiral 1 as a FULL AI project experience to a select few who demonstrate the necessary Python programming and scholastic proficiency that is needed.
We will try to provide a restructured AI experience for Spiral 2 — although that AI project will be more closely coupled with the VR projects - ie create an AI campus. The requirements for the other projects are not as stringent.
1. Virtual Reality (5 week baseline track or the more challenging 10 week track - possible collaborations with AI or Cybersecurity projects for the 10 week track for top performers in the VR project)
2. Cybersecurity (5 week baseline track or the more challenging 10 week track - no prior experience needed )
3. Artificial Intelligence (10 week track only - our most challenging project - strong programming proficiency required to apply for this project — with Python recommended — as it is the language for this AI project. You will need to be proficient in Python or be willing to learn it and demonstrate it before being assigned to the AI project.
4. Wearable Tech (10 week track only - some prior electronics & programming experience helpful)
5. Engineering of Expendable 3D Printed Drones (10 week track only - some prior CAD experience helpful)
6. Data Analytics & Forensics - Publicly Available Information - Social Media, etc (10 week and 5 week tracks) - some prior programming experience helpful but a 5-week track utilizing existing data analytics tools is also available.
First Day of SADE (for both the 5-Week and the 10-Week Tracks): June 3, 2019 (Monday)
Last Day (for the first 5-Week Track): July 5, 2019 (Friday)
First Day (for the second 5-Week Track): July 8, 2019 (Monday)
Last Day (for the 10-Week Track and the second 5-week Track): August 9, 2019 (Friday)
· *Pre-Requisite: The first two weeks of SADE for all the 5-week and 10-week students is a self-paced Virtual Reality Academy (VRA) to get students comfortable with being an avatar. It is required for ALL projects.
· Flexibility: This SADE technology program is up to 10-15 hours / week depending on the project - and is spare time, flex time to accommodate other summer commitments such as family vacation, summer jobs, etc. The AI project however may require more than 15+ hrs / week — that is how technically challenging that project is.
· Location: All sessions are hosted in our 3D virtual campus environment so relocation is NOT required to participate. VR headsets are NOT needed. An on-site option for some projects are possible for some students..
· Materials Needed: Computer, internet access, free down-loaded software, and headphones with microphone. The wearable tech projects will require access to low cost electronics and very low cost sensors. We are considering a Heart Attack Alert Shirt for that project.
· Cost: This opportunity — to include the AI Fundamentals seminar series — is valued at $495 - but is currently offered at NO COST. Consequently, the student’s application & interview video will factor heavily in our selection.
· Qualifications: No prior relevant experience or education is needed for most of the DLG projects (except for the very demanding Artificial Intelligence projects) - however the students who have been successful in our program in the past have demonstrated four foundational qualities that we (and future employers) look for:
o enthusiasm - they’re excited about their project - that’s why we give you a say in project selection
o tenacity - they don’t quit when things get challenging / they find a way - a key to success in life
o personal responsibility - they take ownership of the experience - they don’t complain & blame others
o glass-half-full mindset - they see the positive side of the challenges / they’re pleasant to be around!
Do these qualities describe you or describe what you will commit to strive to develop through this SADE program? If so, then we invite you to apply!
STEP 1 of 2: CLICK HERE TO REGISTER - but you also still need to APPLY. You won’t be considered for this program simply by registering. STEP 2 of 2: TO APPLY, download and (carefully) follow the Video Application Instructions in next link. Don’t forget to answer the interview questions in an EMAIL as well as completing the short INTERVIEW VIDEO.