UPDATED June 5th, 2019.
IMPORTANT that you read ALL of this web page carefully before applying as it answers most of your questions.
This web page can be viewed on a mobile device but it is designed to be best viewed on a computer or laptop screen. Application is now re-opened for the Summer at Discovery's Edge (SADE 2019) Program.
Application Deadline — for the 6-week summer program is 11 PM EDT, Sunday June 30th … but we strongly encourage you to complete the two step application by June 23rd to guarantee a strong start.
Students must complete two separate steps to be considered. Completing STEP 1 is not enough. Students must also complete STEP 2 before the deadline in order to be considered.
Here are the two steps that must be completed before the deadline.
· STEP 1 (REGISTER): click the CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TODAY link to complete the online REGISTRATION form. This step is simply to REGISTER information indicating that you plan to apply. The next Step 2 is to APPLY.
IMPORTANT: the registration was originally created for those who applied for the Feb and May deadlines where a 5-week and a 10-week track option were both offered. Since we are only offering an extended 6-week track option now, students should selected the 5-week track option as the closest to the 6-week track option being offered. If you select 10-week, we will assume that you are selecting the 6-week option as it is the only one available in June.
· STEP 2 (APPLY): click the VIDEO APPLICATIONS INSTRUCTIONS link to complete the APPLICATION process which involves answering the interview questions in the body of an email and then attaching a short interview video.
Read ALL of the instructions carefully first — they will help answer most of your questions.
Some students completed the video but failed to complete the email portion.— ie answer the interview questions in the email … and also answer the same questions in the short interview video.
The 2 links (to REGISTER & then APPLY) are on the top right when viewed on a computer / laptop and are at the bottom of this webpage when viewed on a smartphone.
REMEMBER: You will NOT be considered unless you complete Step 1 & Step 2…. REGISTERING is NOT enough.
QUESTION? - if you have questions after you first carefully review the information on this website then please email your questions to DLabG.Resume@GMAIL.COM … but make sure to put SADE2019 Question in the subject line of the email (the email header) … and not inside the email … so that we can respond quickly. The deadline still holds.
——— HERE’S MORE INFORMATION IF YOU WISH TO LEARN MORE ———
The Projects: Students will have a say in their project assignment through a project assignment / team-formation process in our 3D virtual campus that we call the “NFL Draft”.
No prior experience or education is required for most projects as they are project-based learning opportunities.
However, AI is the most challenging project in our program and offered only to a select few who demonstrate the necessary Python programming skills, scholastic proficiency, and professional maturity that is needed to succeed.
The requirements for the other projects are much more flexible:
1. Virtual Reality - options include Project Moon Base 2044 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of Neil Armstrong stepping foot on the surface of the moon. Another is to create a playable college football stadium.
2. Cybersecurity - explore the development of an ethical hacking testbed utilizing Raspberry Pi
3. Artificial Intelligence (our most challenging project) - strong programming proficiency required to apply for this project — with Python recommended — as it is the language for this AI project. The project is an AI program that teaches itself how to play a video game … and win … utilizing Deep Learning principles.
4. Wearable Tech - some prior electronics & programming experience helpful - creating a heart attack alert shirt.
5. Engineering of Expendable 3D Printed Drones for Precision Delivery of Emergence Medical Supplies
6. Data Analytics & Forensics - some prior programming experience helpful but utilizing existing data analytics tools is also possible. This is a project of strong interest to small businesses across the country.
NOTE: a project will be offered ONLY if there are enough interested / qualified students selecting that project. This is because our program is team based (students helping students) and so there are no teams of just one person.
Administrative Details (for the 6-week track):
First Day of SADE for the 6-week track: July 1, 2019 (Monday)
Last Day of SADE for the 6-week track: August 9, 2019 (Friday)
· *Pre-Requisite: The first week of SADE is a self-paced Virtual Reality Academy (VRA) to get students comfortable with being an avatar. It is required for ALL projects.
· Flexibility: This SADE technology program is up to 10-15 hours / week depending on the project - and is spare time, flex time to accommodate other summer commitments such as family vacation, summer jobs, etc. The AI project however may require more than 15+ hrs / week — that is how technically challenging that project is.
· Location: All sessions are hosted in our 3D virtual campus environment so relocation is NOT required to participate. VR headsets are NOT needed. An on-site option for some projects are possible for some students..
· Materials Needed: Computer, internet access, free down-loaded software, and headphones with microphone. The wearable tech projects will require access to low cost electronics and very low cost sensors. We are considering a Heart Attack Alert Shirt for that project.
· Cost: This opportunity — to include the AI Fundamentals seminar series — is valued at $495 - but is currently offered at NO COST. Consequently, the student’s application & interview video will factor heavily in our selection.
· Qualifications: No prior relevant experience or education is needed for most of the DLG projects (except for the very demanding Artificial Intelligence projects) - however the students who have been successful in our program in the past have demonstrated four foundational qualities that we (and future employers) look for:
o enthusiasm - they’re excited about their project - that’s why we give you a say in project selection
o tenacity - they don’t quit when things get challenging / they find a way - a key to success in life
o personal responsibility - they take ownership of the experience - they don’t complain & blame others
o glass-half-full mindset - they see the positive side of the challenges / they’re pleasant to be around!
Do these qualities describe you or describe what you will commit to strive to develop through this SADE program? If so, then we invite you to apply!
STEP 1 of 2: CLICK HERE TO REGISTER - but you also still need to APPLY. You won’t be considered for this program simply by registering. STEP 2 of 2: TO APPLY, download and (carefully) follow the Video Application Instructions in next link. Don’t forget to answer the interview questions in an EMAIL as well as completing the short INTERVIEW VIDEO.